An Ashamed Indian
Today for the first time in my 23 years have I felt ashamed to be an Indian. I used to be the one talking about Incredible India, our culture and value’s, our traditions. Today I feel I have lost every right to boast about my country, society and culture after the recent Delhi gang rape case. We have seen other negative portrayal of our people and government – be it the Common Wealth Games scam or the 2G scam – we have seen it all but there was still a hope somewhere that not everything is lost. Unfortunately I doubt I can say the same today or any more.
In our Indian society when a woman is violated her skirt or high heels are blamed. Its not only lazy politicians or a laid back police alone that need a kick in their backside, the problem is much deeper and more fundamental. It is the ingrained mentality where women are not seen as equals but as mere objects that are can be treated in any way and thrown away.
This third-class school of thought unfortunately is not something that prevails amongst the illiterate or less fortunate section of the society this mentality infiltrates into the elite (by status and not thoughts) class. Our very own President’s son – Abhijit Mukherjee refers to the anti-rape women protesters as ‘dented and painted’ women. With such leaders and such ‘dented‘ thoughts where are we heading – there doesn’t seem to be a silver lining to this cloud.
Sheila Dixit ji (Chief Minister of Delhi since 1998) – I bow in respect to you – not only because you are our Chief Minister saahiba but because you have been managing face yourself and the world every morning knowing that you were responsible for this. After a 14 years of having a woman CM, the last thing you expect is the state to transform into the rape capital of the country – you are unbelievable to have achieved this. Also, if you think lighting one candle in front of the media is going to make the world think you are a concerned or sorry – then CM saahiba you are anything but right. You are and will be responsible for her murder.
Dear Amanat/Nirbhaya/Damini – whatever your name was – who ever you were. I am extremely sorry for what happened to you. I like all Indians need to be blamed – I am sorry as sorry as I can be. I am not even going to attempt to say RIP because I am not going to pretend that you are or will be at peace after what happened. Despite my ever growing guilt and desire for things to be different I CANNOT promise you that you will be given justice or something like this will not happen again. I am nothing but yet another ashamed Indian.
Curious about the header?
- 32,716 hits
There was an error retrieving images from Instagram. An attempt will be remade in a few minutes.
QR code- pretty right?
- RT @rocketgirlmd: “I was just as unprepared to hear my doctor say ‘lung cancer’ as I had been to hear my husband say ‘I’m gay.’”❤️❤️❤️ http… 1 month ago
- P.F. Chang’s: Buy One Get One Free: likeacoupon.com/2017/08/p-f-ch… 3 months ago
- @NaveenaSivam @IRE_NICAR You go girl!!! 3 months ago
- Fancy family! BIL demoing Web NFC to Tim Berners Lee!!! #soproud #geek twitter.com/rijubrata/stat… 8 months ago
- Will the Real Democracy Lovers Please Stand Up? - The New York Times apple.news/AsUzmcfuiTgyau… 9 months ago
- Without a free press, democracy CRUMBLES!!! twitter.com/jengranholm/st… 9 months ago
- RT @juliehdavis: Take note: The daily on-camera WH press briefing was transformed today into an invite-only off-camera affair w POTUS' favo… 9 months ago
- This is how VERY scary things begin. Reminds me of WWII stories where German Jews thought they're safe until they w… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 9 months ago
- RT @alodium: Good. Very good. Start the change. "Barbara Hendricks ordered only vegetarian food to be served" telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/02/2… 9 months ago
- @mikephilpott I wish more countries take a similar stance while here in the US, people still think #climatechange is a farce. 9 months ago
- @TheWorldPost I wish more people take this stance 9 months ago
- Brilliant!!! Citing environmental concerns, German ministry bans meat at official functions huffingtonpost.com/entry/germany-… via @TheWorldPost 9 months ago
- Frolicked home after #booksigning with @rocketgirlmd - THANK YO #whenbreathbecomesair #fangirlmoment https://t.co/ePiu1SfLIq 10 months ago
- @Columbia_SPS @rocketgirlmd @NarrativeMed @NellieGHermann can't wait for the talk! 10 months ago